Thank you for your recent order :) When receiving your livestock you must acclimate it first. The acclimation process should never be rushed or skipped. These must be followed in order for the “arrive alive” guarantee to apply. Please contact us at any point if you have questions or concerns. We’re here to help! Please follow these steps for success:
OUR POLICY IS ONLY VALID IF YOU FOLLOW OUR INSTRUCTIONS
CORAL ACCLIMATION - Bag method: Arrive alive guarantee is 5 days from delivery. (2 Days for SPS) Visit our livestock guarantee page for more details. IMPORTANT: Make sure your new corals have lots of indirect flow for about 24hrs after the shipment has arrived. This helps remove the slime coat the coral will produce from stress during shipping. After 24hrs, move corals into proper position in tank. We recommend that all livestock should be properly quarantined before adding to your main display.
- Make sure all your parameters are in optimal range. (SG 1.026, Alk 7-9, Cal 420-450, Mag 1350, PO4 0-0.08ppm, NO3 0-15ppm).
- Corals go through tremendous stress from shipping. Using any coral dip within 24hrs WILL VOID OUR GUARANTEE as it can cause even more stress to the coral. Please place corals in QT for the meantime.
- Float the sealed bag in the aquarium for 30 minutes or until temperature is matched.
- Discard 1/2 the water from the bag, fill it up with 1/2 of your tank/aquarium water. (Do not add shipping bag water/waste water to your aquarium!)
- Wait 30 minutes and repeat Step 4, two more times every 30 minutes.
- Transfer corals to a QT tank or aquarium. Place them on a frag rack or at the bottom of the aquarium where they will get lots of random flow and lower light.
Please Note: Color loss and browning during shipping or soon afterward is normal (Especially for SPS). Coral color is no way part of the "remain alive" guarantee. With proper light and parameters the coral will return to its original color in a couple of weeks
INVERT ACCLIMATION - Bag method: Arrive alive guarantee is DOA (Dead on Arrival) in the bag. If you have a DOA(s) upon arrival, please do not open the bag. Visit our livestock guarantee page for more details.
- Float the sealed bag in the aquarium for 30 minutes or until temperature is matched. DO NOT OPEN THE SHIPPING BAG during this time. This allows the water in the bag to adjust slowly to the temperature of your tank.
- Open the bag and test the salinity/specific gravity in the shipping bag as well as your tank to ensure parameters are similar before acclimation.
- If you are unable to drip acclimate, discard half the water from the bag, slowly fill it up with your tank/aquarium water. (Do not add shipping bag water/waste water to your aquarium!)
- Wait 30 minutes and repeat Step 3, three more times every 30 minutes. Taking your time at this is very important.
- At this point, the inverts can be transferred to the aquarium.
FISH ACCLIMATION - Bag method: Arrive alive guarantee is DOA in the bag. If you have a DOA(s) upon arrival, please do not open the bag. (Orders Prior to January 7th 2023) No Coverage for Fish Orders Past That Date. Visit our livestock guarantee page for more details. Fish will arrive feeling and looking lethargic. This is completely normal after shipping. Please do not skip or rush the acclimation process under any circumstances. Once properly acclimated everything will be back to normal.
- Turn off your aquarium/quarantine tank lights. (keep your tank lights off for at least four hours after the fish is acclimated and introduced into the aquarium.)
- Dim the lights in the room where the shipping box will be opened. Never open the box in bright light.
- Float the sealed bag in the aquarium for 30 minutes or until temperature is matched. DO NOT OPEN THE SHIPPING BAG during this time.
- Open the bag and make sure the specific gravity of your tank is matching the bag water, if it is not, additional acclimation time may be necessary.
- Roll the top edge of the bag down 1 inch to create an air pocket in the lip of the bag, this will help the bag float on the surface of the water.
- Add 25% more water to the shipping bag from your aquarium/quarantine tank.
- Repeat Step 6 every 15 minutes until the shipping bag is full.
- Lift the shipping bag from your aquarium/quarantine tank and discard half the water from the bag in a bucket or down the sink.
- Float the shipping bag in the tank again and proceed to add 25% of aquarium water to the shipping bag every 15 minutes until the bag is full.
- Repeat steps 6-9 until salinity and ph match your aquarium parameters.
- Scoop the fish from the shipping bag and release it into your aquarium/quarantine tank. Remove the shipping bag from the aquarium and discard the water.
Please contact us at any point if you have questions or concerns. We’re here to help!
~ Canada Corals Team.